The second brewday of lockdown saw the return of a household favorite, the Hefeweisen. As always, the recipe for the Hefeweisen itself was very simple, though I did make an error when ordering ingredients hence the additions of Hallertau Blanc (9.6% AA) instead of Hallertau Mittelfruh (3.5% AA)! Unfortunately I didn’t spot the error until the brewday was well underway and as a result this Hefeweisen will be around 40 IBU, much MUCH more bitter than normal! Hallertau Blanc hops are known for flavours of white-wine and fruit, elderflower, grapes, grapefruit and lemongrass so fingers crossed the end result will actually work out ok!
The recipe for the Hefeweisen is:
- 3kg Wheat Malt
- 1.5kg Pilsner Malt
- 22g Hallertau Blanc hops @ 60 minutes
- 10g Hallertau Blanc hops @ 20 minutes
- 1 pkt Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat Yeast
Traditionally Hefeweisen would be brewed with a decoction mash or at least a multi-stage mash but, to keep things intentionally simple with the new brewery, this time I opted for a single stage 60 minute mash at 66.7C followed by a 60 minute boil. Having 66% Wheat Malt in the recipe and a short boil should help keep the colour light and golden. There’s also no Irish Moss in this recipe as I want to keep as much ‘cloud’ in this beer as possible.
The new pump, purchased after the death of the little Brown Pump on Brewday 51, was much more up for the task of the Whirlpool. Today, after the boil, I ran it for 15 minutes at around 75% speed (I hadn’t opened the outlet ball value fully) and then let it settle for 15 minutes afterwards. The ‘cone’ of trub in the centre of the kettle wasn’t perhaps as tight as it could have been but the Ss Brewtech Trub Dam still did a pretty effective job at keeping the muck in the kettle and just draining the beer into the fermentor.
Also following on from Brewday 51 I had also setup the old Grainfather Counterflow Chiller for use on this brewday. It worked perfectly, cooling the wort down from 80C to 25C with just one pass through on the way to the fermentor. So much better than the old copper immersion cooler!
Brewday 52 was definitely a success! After a bit of tinkering with Beersmith since Brewday 51 I hit every target number until the very end of the day, ending up with 23l in the fermentor at 1.046 OG instead of 21l at 1.048 OG. This is definitely down to me getting a less vigorous boil and lower evaporation rate than Beersmith expects so a quick tweak in the settings should be all that is needed to iron this out in time for the next brew!